How I found out I had Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)

Saturday, August 5, 2017




    Did you know that 1 in 8 women will develop a thyroid disorder during her lifetime? Unfortunately, I am one of those women. Living with Hyperthyroidism for the past 2.5 years has been filled with it's share of ups and downs but I have learned a lot along the way and I wanted to share my experiences.

      But first, what exactly is a Thyroid? A Thyroid is a  Butterfly shaped gland in the front of your neck, the gland creates hormones which helps the body create energy and allows the body's organs to function properly. 
         
 
      Hyperthyroidism also known as Overactive Thyroid is basically when the Thyroid produces too much hormones. 
    
     During my annual exam with my OB-GYN in early 2015...
,    my doctor noticed that my Thyroid was enlarged and asked me if I had noticed any changes. Honestly, during that time I did not notice any symptoms at all. My son was barely 1 years old and I was busy trying to lose the remainder of the baby weight I gained during my pregnancy. My doctor sent me to get a ultrasound of my Thyroid in addition to blood work. The ultrasound determined that there was a benign nodule on my Thyroid and my blood work results determined that my Thyroid Hormone levels were very high. 
  
      After about a month of going back and forth to the doctor and having various lab tests done, I started to feel symptoms. The main symptoms I experienced were heart palpitations, sweating/heat sensitivity, exhaustion, Insomnia, and my eyes got slightly larger. However, once I started taking my medication to lower my Thyroid Hormones and minimize the heart palpitations I felt a lot better. There are still times when the dosage I'm taking is no longer sufficient so I'm always in contact with my doctor when I start to feel sick.
      
      I've noticed that I tend to manage my symptoms better when I do the following:
  • Taking my prescriptions as prescribed, at the same time every day 
  • Getting more sleep 
  • Eating a healthy diet (doesn't have to be perfect), I always notice an improvement in my energy levels when I eat healthier
  • Exercising (when I have the energy to, lol)
  • Taking multivitamin supplements
 I hope you found this helpful <3

  
sources:  https://www.thyroid.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan